Oct 5, 2012

On Smoking

Because I had had (past tense) a manager who smokes a lot, but this is not about her, nor about smoking. This is my story about SMOKES.

When I was a kid (I still am) my Papa (my mother's brother) used to boss us around children to light his cigarette. I don’t know why Lighters are not that popular in those days.

I remember being really happy when I  get to light the fresh cigarette. I would go to the kitchen where woods are used to cook our meals. In those days people use woods to cook and we have dirty kitchens at home. We do have stoves but people on those days seem to have the luxury of time to build fire to cook. We even have chopped woods under our house, pile and piles of chopped woods.

I remember being really happy when I get the chance to light the fresh cigar of my Papa. What I do is that I just don't light the cigar using my hand but I  do them lighting by putting first the cigar in my mouth and get my face really close to the fire till I feel the heat and the tip of the cigarette catches fire.

And I inhale like CRAZY!

I do it fast and quick. In my imagination I used to pretend that I am an actress or a celebrity. I don't know why when I was a kid I see people as being glamorous when they smoke. Now I certainly don't.  I don't do it when people are around. I make sure nobody's watching.

I remember feeling madly high and happy knowing I've done something wicked. I do it real quick so my Papa won’t notice and I hand him the cigar and act like a little angel.

Oh the high I get!

I knew then that I was a little rebel. I know it's wicked acting like a little angel when you are clearly not. Some children use to just show their bad, rebellious side but no not me. I'M THIS LITTLE ANGEL!!! SEE?

People don't know anything about me really.

I still carry that trait to this day. I told you I still am a kid! I still wear mask when I am angry, sad, or when I do wicked, wicked things. I do try to be honest as much as possible now, to show my real feelings, to show the real me.

But habits are hard to break especially when it's from childhood. So yeah, I'm no angel, maybe a bit rebel inside and definitely a sinner.

I do appreciate myself now; it’s hard to live with one self when you don't.




See that little rebel inside? :p


***

I have a lot of things to be thankful for today. 
You see I have not been writing things I'm grateful about in here. So let me start with being really grateful for the grace of forgiveness.(It's hard for me to forgive myself but I'm learning now; i try to be kind to me. I want me as my own best friend and not to treat me badly).

I'm grateful for a new day and for new beginnings. I do love mornings! Let us always begin again. And again.
 
Images by Freepik