Jun 27, 2012

Discovering Orhan Pamuk

It is the first time i cried with a book. With  Füsun, feeling what she feels. After making love for the first time...

...only saying that she would remember this day till the end of her life, before beginning to cry again, and then falling silent once more. 

I am reminded of a dear friend when i asked her of what she initially felt after their first time. She told me she cried. She cried for her many ambitions and dreams in life. And at that moment, I felt her, I felt a lifespan of dreams and promises that seems to elude after doing such a sacred but forbidden thing would certainly occur in one's mind. The so many what if's questions to follow. It seemed to me that i understood what had happened and inside i cried with her. I have never been so much touched with a book. And i am only just beginning to read it.


P.S. I am afraid to read what will happen next. I am so afraid to jump in and walk in their shoes. Feeling what they feel. I am not sure if i would like to be inside Pamuk's book regardless of how skillfully he weaves every word like a work of art- to evoke such emotions from me is a little bit unsettling. I am not even sure if he is a He. But i am guessing he is. I should really google the name now.
 
Images by Freepik