Nov 22, 2012

Read to me Rumi

plow, Rumi

If you don’t plow the earth, it’s going to get so hard nothing grows in it. You just plow the earth of yourself. You just get moving. And even don’t ask exactly what’s going to happen. You allow yourself to move around, and you will see the benefit.  -Rumi

Rumi is my favorite poet.

I read a lot of his poems. They are a lot to take in sometimes so you just have to read some lines or stanza's. Even though Rumi is a persian poet and a Sufist, I can relate to him. His poems have been my comfort when the longing for God was too much. 

I discovered that no matter what religion you have there is just this longing in your heart for something to satisfy you. It's what St. Augustine was talking about when he said that my heart is restless until it rest in thee. It's what the psalmist was talking about when he said as the deer pants for the water so my soul longs after you. This longing for God to satisfy me- it was at this time in my life when I found Rumi. I found him when I could barely understand or express myself. I was so Restless. And then I read this:

“What you seek is seeking you.”

This just blows my mind. I could not believe that it is God who is seeking me that is why I'm seeking him. I learned to relax after that. 

I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.
Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.


I have this feeling that no matter what I'll do or how grievous my sins are if only i will call, God will take me home. 

“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.” 

 Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. - This is my motto every time i fall into sin. It has become perhaps my life's motto I'm afraid. Do not be afraid to come yet again. Bagag leps, is what we call in our dialect. Translates roughly to thick face/lips which means no shame. I'm naturally shy but with God I try as much to be bold. I just hope I'm not abusing his kindness.

Do you feel that sometimes? That maybe perhaps you take everything lightly like forgiveness? It is indeed my prayer that my heart be sincere towards God.

“That which God said to the rose, and caused it to laugh in full-blown beauty, He said to my heart, and made it a hundred times more beautiful.” 

In Rumi's words i found how beautiful it is to look at the world with such eyes. To express it in that way is just beautiful.

“And still, after all this time, the Sun has never said to the Earth,
"You owe me."
Look what happens with love like that.
It lights up the sky.” 


***


Ahhh... If you want to know more about Rumi you can go and listen to this podcast : Transcript for The Ecstatic Faith of Rumi.  

This was really beautiful and mesmerizing. I love how the interviewee was memorizing poems in Persian language(ah the sound of it!) and then translating it to English. 

   "Speak a new language so that the world will be a new world."

And then this:


“There is a secret medicine given only to those who hurt so hard they can't hope.
The hopers would feel slighted if they knew.” 
-Rumi


So don't you worry your pretty little head okay? Be blessed!

 
Images by Freepik