Jun 23, 2013

How We Say Sorry At Home

 In our family we never say sorry when we truly are sorry.

I don't know why but it has always been that way ever since I could remember. I guess it kind of embarrass us to say sorry (I'm not sure if this is what my siblings and my parents feel but it's certainly what i feel)

The usual kind of saying sorry for me is to ask favor, because talking is hard to do when you know you are wrong or when you're hurting. I call it pride. I think I am a proud person, and I've been trying to keep my pride at bay so it won’t get in the way. It gets in the way sometimes. And when it does, I am indifferent. I won't talk nor would I look at you. It takes a lot of control and humility not to harbor and nurture hate especially when I know I am in the right.
This knowing of being in the right does not help in building relationships because it builds pride. I have seen relatives not being okay for years - each insisting they are in the right and too proud to ask forgiveness.
If I am not careful I may end up like them. A person has to be awake enough to notice that he is angry because anger nurtured, I noticed, turns into hate, and hate carried too long  becomes indifference. And I don't ever want to carry hate nor indifference for years ever again. O, the things you will miss not enjoying each other’s company!

When I'm sorry and too stubborn to admit it, I ask for favor, -HAHA! simple favors like 'Could you get me the water please' or 'Can I borrow your cellphone?' it means I have forgiven you, or that I want us to be okay now, and can we move on already.
My family gets it. So when they still won’t talk after I made the first move it means they are not yet ready to forgive but it is okay because they know that I’m over it already. 

Another thing when I am sorry and when I am wrong (I am wrong usually means disobedience and talking back at my parents -- even when I am in the right I feel wrong at fighting back.
I feel guilty when I talk back with rage, I feel guilty that I am not able to control my anger, and I feel guilty because it is a sign of disrespect.)
The biggest challenge for me at home is to honor my parents because I feel old enough to talk back. I don't like being told what to do. I especially don't like being nagged at for any reason at all. I am old enough for it! Haven't I outgrown my bad habits already? (Disappointed) I feel like I don't deserve to be treated that way. And that feeling of entitlement gets me in trouble.

Sometimes I surprise myself erupting like a raging volcano. Eruption happens and I am truly sorry afterward. And when I am truly sorry and guilty I do favor. I clean the house or do things that I know would please my parents. Or I would just simply obey. And my parents, they get it. I have never heard any of my family member say sorry. They also have their own way of saying it. And I get it.  

This is how we do things at home.

This is how we heal over and over again. 
 
Images by Freepik