Dec 30, 2012

A Gospel for Life - My New Year's Resolution

Children, listen to me; I am your father. Do what I tell you and you will be safe, for the Lord has given fathers authority over their children and given children the obligation to obey their mothers.

If you respect your father, you can make up for your sins, and if you honor your mother, you are earning great wealth. If you respect your father, one day your own children will make you happy; the Lord will hear your prayers. If you obey the Lord by honoring your father and making your mother happy, you will live a long life. 

Obey your parents as if you were their slave. Honor your father in everything you do and say, so that you may receive his blessing. When parents give their blessing, they give strength to their children's homes, but when they curse their children, they destroy the very foundations. 

Never seek honor for yourself at your father's expense; it is not to your credit if he is dishonored. Your own honor comes from the respect that you show to your father. If children do not honor their mothers, it is their own disgrace. 

My child, take care of your father when he grows old; give him no cause for worry as long as he lives. Be sympathetic even if his mind fails him; don't look down on him just because you are strong and healthy. The Lord will not forget the kindness you show to your father; it will help you make up for your sins. When you are in trouble, the Lord will remember your kindness and will help you; your sins will melt away like frost in warm sunshine. Sirach 3:1-15

xxx


I heard this read in our church last Sunday.
This is always included in the Gospel every Sunday following Christmas which is the Feast of the Holy Family.  Somehow I am always present when this is read. And I am reminded every time to honor my parents.

I did not grow up with my parents so I have to admit this is hard for me to do. I and my mom are okay, but with my dad sometimes it is a struggle.

It seems to me that everyday there is always something to argue about with my dad. My dad is a complainer and sometimes very hard to please. He wakes up very early in the morning and starts to work. Anything that needs working he works it. In my head I think my dad lives with the motto: TIME IS GOLD.

I am the complete opposite.

I take my morning really slow. I write a little, think a little- if I want coffee I have myself coffee and then just sit around and let time roll. My dad hates this. He can’t sit still. Anything looks idle irritates him. I don't know why there is this sense of urgency with my dad. Friction starts when he would start complaining about me sitting instead of cooking and preparing the table for breakfast. I am not yet done with my morning routine which is pretty much staring at something with my head blank or thinking. This is my meditating phase. I am not fully awake. And when you wake up with a complaining, your morning is pretty much ruined. This annoys me to no end.

So this year and for the rest of my life my resolution is to obey the Lord by honoring my parents. Changes must be made to accommodate my dad's temper, as we are both stubborn. I must give way and give peace a chance.

I will try to cultivate respect for my dad and mom and understand them as much as I can. They are getting old. In fact, just this morning, I colored my mom's white hair, and my dad colored his white beard. I love my parents. But it is hard to remember that when my pride gets in the way. So this is my prayer: that my heart be changed so I can honor my parents and please God.



HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! 
 
Images by Freepik