Feb 19, 2013

How I Take Notes

Because I love sharing notes, this is a response to classicalquest's note taking.

I have 3 siblings and there is a rule in our house not to comment or highlight things in a book without permission especially if the book is new. It started when we had this new book in the house and 2 of my siblings and I kind of discussed who gets to read first. All three of us wanted to be first. We settled with my sister reading first and then me second and my brother last. Now, my sister loves to highlight things, marking passages that pleased her. When It was my turn, I found out every page has green neon highlights. I was horrified. The book did not seem fresh and brand new to me. And I was constantly irritated by her highlights. It seems like I was reading and following my sister's thoughts and not what the author was trying to say. I got angry and scolded her. So it was agreed never to write/highlight books without permission first. That is why we each have our own bible. It's the most highlighted book in the house.

But I really don't mind buying used books which has notes or highlights on every page as long as I don't know the person. It's a mystery to me. You get to discover another reader's thoughts without you knowing the person. 

So here is how I take note.  I use pencil to write down notes.

I draw faces. Smiley face it makes smile and Sad face if it makes me cry, sometimes both.

The Education of Little Tree
I make comments. Here the sentence was: "One little patch of fog would come around the end of a mountain like a silver boat and bump into another one and they would melt together and take off up a hollow." - You can picture this in your mind. It's like smoke rings bumping into another.

The Education of Little Tree
Im an emotional reader.  :(


***

Sometimes I read using my computer and I have kindle installed which I use to read my pdf and mobi files. It has a built in dictionary and you can highlight and take notes and bookmark pages.


 
Pride and Prejudice
If there are words I don't understand, I look up the meaning and write it on my own words.


Because I'm usually guided by my feelings when I read, I make it a habit to summarize every page based on how I understand it so I can think things over. I try not to ask too much questions and just read. I don't take notes if the book I'm reading is fast paced, or too exciting, or if it's classified as pure entertainment. 


***

But when I read my Bible in our own dialect, I usually end up translating words in English. There are some words in Cebuano that are too deep to comprehend.

Cebuano Bible


I think it is very important to read the Bible in your own language. You will discover a lot of things. (Chang, basa ug bisaya na Bible ba. haha lingaw keu)

***
And this is how I take note during class discussion
With this kind of note taking and my penmanship, I think there is a need to decipher things.

Child and Adolescent Development


Oh study, how I love and hate thee!
 
Images by Freepik