Apr 30, 2013

How to Inhabit Your Present Moment




My
 brother and I we talked about what we would do if we have so much money.

So much money, that we don't need to work for the rest of our lives.
He talked about buying all the designers clothes and me touring the world.
Go to Paris, Rome, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, and Taiwan - yes- see the world.

We talked about all the things we could do and buy, like having our refrigerator filled with chocolates and ice creams, and how we love to have a larger than life flat screen T.V (from floor to ceiling) in every room of our house.

I told him I covet our neighbor's 0.86 square meter vacant lot that's on sale.
I’d build a gymnasium I said, and have a pool and a bookstore/library inside it.
All the Agora kids can come and swim and read. Yes, even the Rugby/Vulcaseal boys. With weather like ours there is a need to moisturize the place!

We were on a roll and suddenly I asked, would this make us happy?

I was surprised. My brother of course said yes it would, and then add "certainly". I know in my heart of hearts that external things won’t make us happy. And I was surprised with myself because I knew at that moment I have matured.

Yes it is not things that will make us happy. And you won’t be happy either if you look for it.

Happiness is now.

Learning to inhabit your present moment is all you need to be happy.
Be present now and you will never have to worry about your future
(I know how it feels like to worry about the future. I went chilling worrying about it before).

If you have read about the wild flowers and how they grow and how not even King Solomon was dressed like one of them that is the feeling of living in the moment, of inhabiting your life.
I hope I can describe it not in a Zen like way but yeah it is Zen like. This is what I learned and this is what's true for me.

I am in a much, much better place now. And I thank God. Everything that has happened; happened for a reason and it feels like somehow things are falling into its proper place.

It is liberating and amusing to find- that I can now say, I trust life.


 
Images by Freepik