Mar 1, 2011

Lola's Birthday

Grandmother-grandchild relationships are simple.
  Grandmas are short on criticism and long on love. 
~Author Unknown

---


So today is my Lola's birthday. And since it's her birthday i would like to talk something about her here.
note: Me and my sister and even my brother grew  up with my lola and my other two cousins too.

When i was still growing up in Camiguin as a kid every time im sick i prefer to be with my Lola's care. Yes i do. And i tell you its not easy because my Lola lives in the other side of the island probably 14 kilometers away. I dont choose what time, night or day as long as im sick, i would have to be in my Lola's arms and i cry every time if my wish aren't granted. My mom would lovingly send me away.

Growing up with my Grandma means "hulid-hulid". Smile. That means a lot of cuddle and hugging and kissing. Whenever your around she would just say "Ali hulid-hulid ta" :P aw. My heart is melting right now remembering those old days.

I don't usually say this but my Lola is very eloquent. My Papa Allan used to ask her advice on what to say during election time. She's a School principal and every time she's asked to have a speech she just blow me away. Im so proud of her. And not to mention that her english is very very good. I wish i kind of inherited that from her but alas not a single iota!

I learned to pray the rosary from her. Yes, and all the novenas! Every 6pm we are not allowed to go out anymore. We start to pray the Angelus and then the rosary. I used to memorized the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the Mysteries when i was young. Even the Memorarie and the Hail Holy Queen. We pray every single day way back then!

My Lola likes to pamper us! We dont do house chores much. We cousins were like little senoritas and senoritos. We have snacks every morning and afternoon. We used to share every single food we have no matter how small way back then with my cousins. "Sharing is loving" probably would be our motto.

My Lola and I like to have plants in our garden. We love gardening! She used to say that i have a green thumb! I dont know if i still have it now. My cousins and I used to water her plants every morning except when raining.

She exercises every single day! Twirling her knees and hips around. And she's so cute when she does that. My Lola doesn't like to sit around doing nothing.

She borrows money from us cousins and pay properly. Unlike my mom and dad.

She reads a lot of readers digest!  I can remember reading a lot of it too. You know she has a subscription. And monthly it is sent to us.And i get excited every month. My lola is a wide reader.

She loves to tell us stories! My Grandma is a story teller. She tells stories every time we go to bed. She even read the whole bible stories with us, in comic style that is!

Everyone in our province calls her Ma'am Pesing! Her name is Simplicia. :P She's complicated.

Attends every single meeting we had in school. I now appreciate her more for that. Because my mom and dad don't.

She's  very Spanish in her ways. You know deeply religious and a little bit of a status-quo-matters-to-me  type of person.

I remembered being scolded because i was listening with girls older than me and laughing with them talking nasty and nonsense things. She said it makes me vulgar. I did not do it again. So i guess i grow up being quiet after that.

She would always "templa" us chocolate(tablia) every breakfast. Breakfast is not a breakfast without it.

She is very generous with all of us her apo. You know she has a lot of money. :P

That is just some of my Lola's tidbits. I love my Lola(even though there are a lot of things i wish she did not do that caused  me a lot of pain) but i guess that is just life and i have already forgiven her, not that she's asking for forgiveness. And most of the things that comprises me is her. I am who i am today because of her. Im still trying to unlearn a lot of things though. But some of the things i love about her will remain.

To my dearest Lola whom i love to hug and kiss  Happy Birthday and I love you! (i forgot how old are u now) Thank you so much for everything. May God bless you and let you see the day when everyone of your child will be reunited again. I love you Lola and that has always been my prayer when im reminded of you.
 
Images by Freepik