Jan 26, 2011

To Kill a Mocking Bird

 A Timeless Classic of Growing Up and the Human Dignity that Unites Us All

A novel set in a small town in fictional Maycomb County, Alabama, 1933-35; written in the 1950s, published in 1960. By Harper Lee.


Mrs. Dubose was a morphine addict" said Atticus."She took it as a pain-killer for years. The doctor put her on it. She'd have spent the rest of her life on it and died without so much agony, but she was too contrary--"
  "Sir?" said Jem.
 Atticus said "Just before your escapade she called me to make her will. Dr. Reynolds told her she had only a few months left.. Her business affairs were in perfect order but she said, There's still one thing out of order."
  "What was that?" Jem was perplexed.
   "She said she was going to leave this world beholding to nothing and nobody". Jem, when you're sick as she was, its alright to take anything to make it easier, but it wasn't alright for her. She said she meant to break herself of it before she died, and that's what she did."
   Jem said, "You mean that's what her fits were?"
   "Yes that's what they were. Most of the time you were reading to her i doubt if she heard a word you said. Her whole mind and body were so concentrated on that alarm clock. If you hadn't fallen into her hands, I'd have made you go read to her anyway. It may have been some distraction. There was another reason--"
   "Did she die free?"asked Jem.
   "As the mountain air," said Atticus. "She was conscious to the last almost. Conscious, he smiled, "and cantankerous. She still disapprove heartily on my doings, and said id probably spend the rest of my life bailing you out of jail. She had Jessie fix you this box--"
   Atticus reached down and picked up the candy box. Inside surrounded by wads of damp cotton, was a white, waxy, perfect camellia. It was a Snow-on-the-Mountain.
  Jem's eyes merely popped out of his head. "Old hell-devil, old hell-devil!" he screamed, flinging it down. "Why cant she leave me alone?"
  In a flash Attius was up and standing over him. Jem buried his face in Atticus's shirt front. "Sh-h" he said. "I think that was her way of telling you- everything's alright now, Jem, everything's all right. You know, she was a great lady."
   "A lady?"Jem raised his head. His face was scarlet.
   "After all those things she said about you, a lady?"
   "She was. She had her own views about things, a lot different from mine, maybe...son, I told you that if you hadn't lost your head id have made you go read to her. I wanted you to see something about her- I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. Its when you know your licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Mrs. Dubose won, all ninety-eight pounds of her. According to her views, she died beholden to nothing and nobody. She was the bravest person i ever knew." xxx


To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee is one of my All Time Favorite Book. You know when they'd asked  what book changed your life? I have none(maybe the Bible). But this book would come close as to have made an impact on me. It widen my views on things and made me open my mind to understand people a whole lot better. You know when Atticus said that,"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view-until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." I love every part of this book and it was so difficult to choose which one to post. I choose that one up there because it talks about freedom in a hard and beautiful way. I love Scout and Dill and all their crazy ideas and  i  can relate somehow to everyone in Maycomb county. I highly recommend this book. If you can only read one book in your lifetime this would probably be it for me.

Fave quote: "It's not time to worry yet."
Ratings: 10/10

 
Images by Freepik